Sunday, October 16, 2011

I'm feeling at home

I'm already starting week four in my ten week quarter. I'm two months into my study abroad and I feel at home. I've got my routine down but still everyday I am discovering something new. My new favorite thing to do is stop by the farmers market at Piazza Cosimato in Trastevere on my walk home from Italian. Everyday I have a break from 10am - 2pm so I usually take a walk through the Eternal City and make my way home for lunch. Usually I'll watch some TV on my computer and then make my way back to school for my afternoon classes. Even in the morning I have a routine. I leave my apartment by 8:15 and get on a over crowded tram and then stop by my favorite caffe, Gió, for a morning cappuccino. We really are creatures of habit.

Even my classes are incredible. I have the same professor for Baroque and Renaissance art history, back to back. Usually I would be pulling my hair out after being in class for almost six hours with the same professor, but I'm not. He is one of the smartest and most interesting teachers I have ever had. He is so passionate about his subjects and lectures completely without notes or a powerpoint. When we're in the classroom, he only has slides, and when we're on sight, he only has the art in front of us. There's my little love rant for Paolo.

I saw the protest yesterday in Rome. I wanted to go shopping at this place where they have really cheap boots and its right behind San Giovanni di Laterano I also planned to walk down the street to go to San Clemente but its in the area exactly where the protest was happening. I realized that the art of protest is pretty universal. It looked exactly like any other protest that would happen in San Francisco or Santa Cruz. There was a drum circle, similar chants, and banners. And of course, police and news reporters everywhere. The helicopters didn't stop flying around Rome until around 10 at night. I watched the protest for a few minutes and then turned around and went home before it got violent at all. On my bus ride home, I smelled smoke near the Circus Maximus but I didn't find out until later what it was from. The anarchist protesters set cars on fire. From what I saw of the protest was that it was very peaceful but what I saw on the news was very different. Maybe I just got out in time, or maybe the media is just focusing on the few people who are making it violent.

What else? Hmmm. Madrid and Paris are coming right up. I am so excited to spend time in those cities again. Besides that not much else is new. Here's a purse picture, pretty similar to the past few purse pictures:
My purse, map, a pen from the Vatican Post Office, sunglasses, camera, Receipts up the wazzooo (you get a receipt for everything, even if you're spending a euro, so my purse is always filled with little pieces of paper), a business card from my favorite restaurant Da Vitorrio, change, hair clips, a pack of sugar from Flunch (hahah), wallet, keys, and a shopping bag.


Better start studying,
Hallie

1 comment:

  1. Flunch! haha we have that here too, such a funny name.

    A favorite caffe where you stop each morning for a cappuccino? So Italian of you! Nice!

    ReplyDelete