Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Vacationing!

Hellooooooo!!!!

Just returned from a wonderful vacation! We had a week off so I decided to go to Madrid to visit my friend Kyle from UCSC and to Paris to visit my friend Maggie who I've known since we were five. I have already been to both of these cities so I feel like I got the super touristy things out of the way and being with a "local" made it so much more fun finding the hip spots around town.

So here was my Itinerary:
Saturday to Wednesday evening - Madrid
Wednesday night to Sunday - Paris.
Perfect four days and four days.

When I arrived in Madrid I was greeted with a sign that said "Pork Cheek" made by the very talented Kyle Thomson. That night we got dinner and walked around Madrid. The city is gorgeous. It reminds me a lot San Francisco. My friends from Rome arrived later that night too.

stuffed fried potatoes
My time in Madrid consisted of museums, walking, eating pastries, caƱas, walking, eating tapas, more pastries and more walking. All Saints Day was Tuesday while I was there and it is a Spanish tradition to eat bunuelos (kind of like cream puffs, but deep fried) and huesos di santo (just some more sugar). So we did as the Madrilenos did and ate. We went out to tapas a few nights and on time we ordered fried green tomatoes. I think this could be the best thing I have ever eaten. They were absolutely perfect. They had a bunch of fresh cheddar cheese on top and arugula salad. It was beautiful. I forgot to snap a picture before it was almost all the way devoured. But I did take a picture of stuffed fried potatoes. These were incredible too.




Teleferico
On my last day in Madrid, Kyle and I ventured to the top of a park and took the Teleferico across the City. It's basically a small enclosed chairlift that has great views of everything. We then walked around the park we ended up in which was so pretty with the trees changing color.


Then it was off to Paris. My original plan was to get to Orly kind of late but still take the metro into the city and meet up with Maggie. But of course my flight got delayed. Annoyed knowing that I would have to fork over forty euros to get into the city on a cab, I boarded the plane in a huff. When the man scanned my ticket, he looked at me and said, "Oh I'm sorry miss, but we've had to move your seat." my first thought was, Really? I was already in the back of the plane, how much further could I get? He said to me, We've had to move you up to business class, do you mind waiting just one second so I can print your new ticket... I'm really sorry.
The flight was perfect. One and a half hours of luxury. I got dinner, I had a bunch of leg room, and I got FOUR moist towelettes. I know, super fancy.


Bonjour
I got to Maggie's homestay where I stayed my first night. An adorable Parisian home that she loves. The family seems so cute and so sweet. Early the next morning we woke up because she had a sight visit at the d'Orsey. Perfect start to Paris. One of my favorite museums. Maggie then had another class so she sent me on my merry way to walk around the center of Paris. Everything was great. Paris is magical. I wish I spoke french, its such a pretty language. Someone told me that learning French after learning Italian is easier....hmmmm, a thought....
Well then I checked into my funky hotel at the bottom of Montparnasse. I think if I crossed the street, I would be out of Paris. It was comfortable and very close to the metro.


Ceiling at the Hunting and Nature Museum



For the rest of my break I did more walking and more eating. I went to the Hunting and Nature Museum which was awesome. A contemporary artist adds their own harmony with these old traditional pieces. Turns very hipster but would be a great place to take kids. Lots of hands on things. I ate a falafel! I randomly ran into Kyle in Paris! I went Pompidou! Should have spent more time in there, its huge, but I was exhausted. Next time :)





I also went to a concert in Paris! I went and saw James Blake, Laura Marling, the cults and some other bands I missed. It was so much fun going to a concert in a different country. The venue was beautiful. A lot like the fox theater in Oakland. James Blake is a lot more dubstep than I expected from the few songs I had heard, but he played a fine line between dubstep and folk rock perfectly. You should check him out. Same with Laura Marling. She is just adorable.

Crepes and Cider


I ate crepes, macaroons, panini, cookies, and an american breakfast. A perfect week of culinary
delights.


Oh my way back to Rome, I decided to check my bag, but of course they lost it. It got stuck in Madrid (my layover) so its still there. But I get compensated 100 euros for my missing things. Hopefully it will be back here tomorrow!

This was the perfect vacation in the middle of what already seems like a vacation.






Well, more on my last few weeks in Rome are coming. Going to Siena this weekend! xoxo

1 comment:

  1. haha the crepes and cider are such a french thing! Whaaaat, how did you accidentally run into Kyle? I'm curious!

    ReplyDelete