Monday, December 5, 2011

Buongiorno Tutti

I can not believe I have less than two weeks left in Rome. It seriously feels like yesterday that I was sitting at SFO texting my friend Maggie questioning my choice to study abroad. We were both at SFO boarding different planes to Europe. Our texting conversation was:
Hallie: "I checked one bag and I brought a carry on and my backpack! I'm so nervous!!!!!!! Wanna come to Rome instead of Paris?"
Maggie: "I am too!! What are we doing??"
Hallie: "I have no idea! Ah"
Maggie: "No, its okay. We are strong, independent world-savvy women and we are LIVING IS THAT SUCH A BAD THING?! NO. It is very much a good thing"

I have looked back on that conversation a few times and laughed at myself for being so nervous. Yes, I am 6238 miles away from home but this is not impossible! I am eating the best food in the world, learning the most beautiful language, rubbing shoulders with some of the most interesting people. I never want to leave. Well maybe in five months, I'll be singing a different tune.

Well my classes in Rome have come to an end. I only have finals left!! Wish me luck!

After three finals I will be packing up my entire Roman life and going on vacation! Here's my plan:
Dec 16-20 Lisbon, Portugal!
Dec 20-26 Dublin, Ireland
Dec 26-Jan 1st London with my Dad!
Jan 1-6 Back to Ireland!
Jan 6- 9 Back to Rome! Then moving everything to Florence for the next chapter in my study abroad!

Here are a few things I have done since my last post:

I went to Siena! Check out how beautiful the Siena Cathedral is! The inside is so incredible too.

I can definitely see myself moving to Siena. The city is absolutely gorgeous. Down every street there is something different to look at. The neighborhoods are incredible and I want to go to the Palio in my future.










Santa Maria Sopra Minerva. Baroque Altar
I also went to Assisi last weekend. This city was really different from Rome because it was a.) TINY. So small and thats an obvious difference. but b.) Assisi felt a lot more religious than Rome ever has. I am living in the center of Christiandom and regularly walk through the Vatican (#nbd, I know) but because its so small, there aren't a lot of tourists so really the only people who were there pilgrims. It was really interesting. But people were so friendly. And almost all the churches had baroque architecture and medieval painting or mosaic. And because of the earthquake in 1997, some of the places underground have been completely remodeled in a very contemporary way. It's very interesting.






Marlisa and I infront of the creepiest
makings of a Nativity scene. Ever. 

I also really loved Assisi because of how - in the words of Anthony Bourdain - crunchy it is. Everything was about peace and "Pace e Bene" was everywhere. So Santa Cruz. Loved it.

Can we also talk about how gorgeous this sunset is. The weather was cloudy and sunlight peaked through the clouds giving those amazing godly rays of light.






I also went to a small town called Fumone to see how Olive Oil was made. It was so cool and the food was incredible. Five course lunch.... no problem. Sign me up!









Ci Vediamo, tutti. I am off to eat dinner in my neighborhood. goodness, I'm never going home!
xoxoxoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment